Located in one of Lisbon's seven hills, the Chiado quarter is historically linked to the Roman presence patent in many archaeological remains, particularly in the old Vilas from the II to V centuries, that are said to have been vacation houses for the wealthier citizens of the city of Olisipo.
Later in 1147, after centuries of Muslim occupation, the conquest of Lisbon by the Christians took place, and just where today is the area corresponding to the Chiado, a group of English crusaders set up camp led by D. Afonso Henriques.
Rua Garrett, which belongs to the parishes of Mártires and the Sacramento, begins at Rua Nova do Almada ending at the Largo do Chiado. If there are streets in Lisbon worthy of reference, this is certainly one of them.
Praça Luís de Camões
Praça Luís de Camões (Luís de Camões square), one of the most emblematic squares of Lisbon, belongs to the parish of Encarnação and is located between Chiado and Bairro Alto.
By the end of the fifteenth century this area which was located outside the walls (the medieval walls that surrounded the city of Lisbon), was virtually abandoned and there were only a few minor farmlands spread here and there.
The foundation of the Church of São Roque in the sixteenth century, pushed the housing construction at this site, with special emphasis for the construction of the Palace of the Counts of Cantanhede (later Marquis of Marialva). Unfortunately there were little remains left of this period after the terrible earthquake of 1755 that devastated the entire city of Lisbon.